Friday, October 23, 2009

Go on, Celebrate Life.

When you are young, the winds of Fate can carry you to places you would never dream of traveling.  The young have an innocence, a joie de vie, that often has been put to rest in later years.   Undaunted, the young step bravely into the Unknown.

C and I were inseparable until a young man stopped at the bottom of the hill, a door opened, and we squeezed our bodies into a fire engine red MGA.  It was the literal opening of a door, a pathway to a new life. 

This was the 60s, when life was meant to be explored and enjoyed. C and I honestly weren't that keen on men, the odd species. In no time at all,  he fell madly in love with her, while she was madly in love with me.  Eventually, an amicable dissolution was reached and nearly a decade had past. Time had moved us all along.  He had decided … in his own words… to become a monk. Had I known monk meant cult member I might have chosen differently, but monk sounded noble, selfless. The concept itself hit my soft spot; I could only think of one appropriate farewell gift. Sex. 

Upon discovery of the small, yet powerful, enigma growing inside me, it became time to let Destiny once again have her say.  He cowered and ran for protection. I stood my ground, or rather "she" stood hers.  This little life inside me insisted on being born, insisted on truth.  In that moment of certitude, I swear the heavens rejoiced.  The mortals were about to get a run for their money.  She would take human form and choose to live among us. 

Today, we celebrate that life and light. 

Happy Birthday, Anisse.